Post 1: Who you are matters

Originally I am from Ojai, a small town that appears artsy and quirky to tourists from LA but really is a redneck, slow-moving place. Eventually, my dad ended up in Tahoe and my mom landed in Cupertino. I guess I “come” from all over.

I am headed to New York to work as a software engineer, but I really have no long-term plans for my life. Quite frankly I don't agree with the notion of making life plans. Nothing ever really works out to expectations.


To "get there" in life really just means being happy and having a reason to get out of bed in the morning. So I guess I'll eat healthy, travel the world once the virus craziness is over, and surround myself with good people in order to “get there”.


My parents are very different, so in the ways that I'm similar to one I'm very different from the other. The traveling side of me, the side that is pushing me to move to New York after graduation, definitely takes after my mom. My dad hates cities and I still think he rejects the idea of me heading to the east coast. On the other hand, he and I are huge skiers and love the outdoors. My mom can't think of anything worse than the cold.


Very likely I am answering to a melding of my parents' and my own expectations, but I have no idea why I do what I do. I don’t really worry about it, either.


My mom has a friend named Shandon, and she demonstrates loyalty better than most other people I know. Loyalty, especially when everything is burning around you and it’s really needed, is the most important personality trait in my eyes.


Since I can't say my dogs, I guess I have to say bears. Growing up in Tahoe, protecting the bear population is instilled into you. Tourists from Palo Alto drive up in their Teslas and throw their trash everywhere, hurting the same environment that they always claim they want to protect. Bears become domesticated when they start turning to trash as their primary food source, which leads to them dying - all out of human selfishness.


When I was twelve I ran into a pine tree skiing and got stuck in its well. At that moment I realized how powerless I was relative to the tree - my body was completely stuck with only my shoulders and head sticking out. I’ll never forget that tree, and how humbled I was.


Sun is in 29 Degrees Aquarius

Moon is in 24 Degrees Pisces

Rising Sign is in 15 Degrees Libra

Comments

  1. I liked the conversational tone of this post! I like the idea of not thinking too much about why you do something, like whether you're operating under your own expectations or not, but just doing it if it makes you happy and seems like a good idea. Your tree story sounds wild - I'm glad you're okay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is great to know that you also have a special connection with bears! I have written a blog post a year ago about Formosan black bear, an endangered native bear species in my country, hoping to raise more awareness of the impact of human behavior on animals. Like you, I also believe that human should reflect on their own behaviors in order to preserve and co-exist with the nature. So I'm glad that there is someone out there who shares the same awareness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is Emily Li by the way. I haven't figure out how to show my name.

      Delete
  3. Loyalty definitely is a great trait to have. I hope you'll be able to surround yourself with good and loyal people. I hope the tree incident wasn't too painful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your outlook is super interesting. I feel like most people place a lot of emphasis on "getting there" and take life head on, but you seem like you let life and all of its experiences come to you. I don't know why but it feels very stress free. I too also have a tree story encounter; they are indeed humbling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely agree with loyalty being the most important personality trait! I think it is one of those traits that really speak on a person's character and helps me determine if they are even someone I would want to have in my life. Also, I love your plan to "get there" in life, I think if you only plan for things within your control you will be able to successfully follow it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm super impressed by the maturity of your perspective. This flexible and easy-going mindset will be optimal for dealing with the roadblocks of life while keeping stress levels low. Personally, I'm constantly working to achieve a similar mindset.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reading your post was so relatable. I feel like you have really en captured the feeling of growing up in such an uncertain world. You are very honest with yourself and your expectations of your surroundings. I think you have determined what will make you happy for the time being and will let your path run its course. I admire your flexibility and how easy-going you seem.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is awesome that you want to keep Tahoe safe with animals but also want to keep Tahoe blue. Loyalty is a great trait to have, and it seems like you have it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I admire the fact that you value loyalty as I view it as a very important trait to carry. Furthermore, I resonate well with what you said about "getting there". I feel like many people view "making it" as monetary success, but I believe your description is much closer to the true meaning of being successful.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment